Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Radio Net Etiquette

Just a little vent for today. I had recently slipped out of the habit of checking into the NI4CE NTS net each evening at 20:30 local time, but now that I am getting back into the habit, I am finding the same irritation that caused me to lose interest before. Other operators who key up their mic and start transmitting non-stop to Net Control without first dropping to see if they are the only station to key up. There are a couple folks in particular who do this incessantly and I figure it's because they don't know any better, and who am I to call them out? It's not like there is some law or regulation that states that they must unkey and verify that they aren't unnecessarily doubling with another station, but you'd think that after hearing so many other stations exercise the same good practice that these folks would attempt to do the same. Alas, they are oblivious and continue forward.

I really peaked last night when a piece of traffic was destined for my city and I was ready to take the traffic. As soon as Net Control called for my county and cleared the repeater, I keyed up and said "Net Control", then unkeyed as usual (for me, anyway) to ensure that I wasn't violating someone else's prior transmission, and as usual one of these one-shot bandits completed their entire check-in and was able to take the traffic. Totally ticked me off, especially because we get so little traffic anymore and it's difficult to keep skills sharp when traffic is so light. Bah.

No comments: