Thursday, January 31, 2008

cacti, cactid -> spine; nanobsd

Hmm, been a while since I upgraded my cacti & cactid ports on my FreeBSD machines, and found that the cactid has been renamed to spine. Yay. Took me a while to notice that the smoke-ping-like Advanced Ping wasn't working with ICMP and even longer to remember why and how to fix it. Had to chmod the spine exec to 4555 (setuid, and yes it's evil) so that it would have the necessary permission to open the socket(s) to send ICMP. Maybe I will remember to check here when the port is renamed again and save myself some time!

I've also been working on a fresh nanobsd build for my Soekris SBCs, and I can't thank Bruce Mah enough for his help earlier last year when I was having some build issues. I had it working after consulting with him last year, but have had many other irons in the fire since then and am just now getting back into this particular project. Ultimately, I want to replace my power-sucking FreeBSD-based firewall with this 12v DC, CF-based storage Soekris board. I will get around to a more detailed post in a few days, I hope.

No comments: